Frequently Asked Questions

1) Do I need planning permission to erect my Passmores garage or carriage house?

Planning Permission
This will usually depend on the size, height and location of your proposed timber building.

If you are positioning the building close to a boundary or in front of the building line of your home when viewed from the road, then planning consent is usually required.

If the building is to be behind the house, more than 2.0m from a boundary and provided the ridge height is less than 4.0m, then you may not need permission, assuming it is for non-business use. Most garden sheds and chalets therefore do not need local authority permission.

However, if you live in a listed property or within a conservation area then planning permission is nearly always required.

The Government Planning Portal contains a wealth of additional information and includes an interactive guide covering most circumstances.

Building Regulations Approval
Small detached outbuildings under 15m² floor area do not require Building Regulations Approval.
Buildings between 15 - 30m² floor area that are positioned at least 1 metre from a boundary are also exempt.

For buildings larger than 30m² Building Regulations Approval is usually required. In these circumstances we recommend a 'Full Plans Submission' as opposed to proceeding on a 'Building Notice'.

2) Can you help with Local Authority Applications?

If you are proposing to erect a Passmore Timber Garage, Carriage House, Sports Pavilions or Equestrian building, we can produce plan, elevation and section drawings to support your application. These cost from £96 depending on building size and complexity and we refund the cost of drawings when you order your building from us.

Drawings can be supplied as hard copies or in electronic format (PDF or DWG) if you wish to submit your application online via The Planning Portal.

Passmores offer telephone and email support during the Planning and Building Regulations application processes. Please refer any questions relating to the building specification or assembly procedures to us.

3) Can I look at your buildings before I buy?

We have over 35 buildings on display in our showground village in Strood, Kent. As well as a full range of Garden Buildings we also display examples of single and double Garages, Carriage Houses, Open Barns, Equestrian buildings and a Club Range with a verandah.

Our opening times are Monday - Friday 9.00am - 5.30pm and Saturday 9.00am - 1.00pm. Informed staff are always on hand to answer any questions and offer advice.

If you are interested in viewing a Garage, Carriage House, Club Range or Equestrian building and would prefer not to travel to Kent we may be able to find you a suitable viewing address in your area, in which case please contact us on 01634 290033 with your details.

4) Will you make a building to my exact dimensions and specification?

We do not offer a bespoke manufacturing service, but our modular manufacturing system is quite versatile and in most cases we will be able to offer you a Passmore building that is close to your requirements.

5) How do I place my order?

You can place your order in person at our showground office, by telephone or by completing and returning the order form enclosed with our sales literature. You can also order a range of standard sized Carriage Houses and Garages by using the online Calculators and clicking through to the order page.

We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm your order, with the balance payable upon completion. For buildings with a value over £5,000, we ask for a 40% stage payment about 2 weeks before delivery. For export orders and buildings being delivered by haulier, payment of the balance is due before we load.

We provide a detailed order acknowledgement that clearly describes the building. For Garages, Carriage Houses, Equestrian and Club Range buildings we include a foundation drawing and guidance notes and we will ask you to check, sign and return a copy of the acknowledgement so you can be sure you are getting what you ordered.

6) How much do you charge for delivery and erection?

For Garden Buildings i.e. Sheds, Chalets and Workshops, delivery is free to postcode areas ME, DA, CT, TN, SS, RM and BR and we offer an erection service in these areas. For delivery outside these postcode areas please refer to the Delivery Charges Map

We deliver Garages, Carriage Houses, Open Barns, Club Range and Equestrian buildings throughout the UK. Delivery is free to most destinations in the South East and outside this area a scaled charge applies depending on your distance from us (see Delivery Map). We offer an erection service in Zones 1, 2 & 3 with published prices for zones 1 & 2 and prices on application for zone 3.

7) What delivery access do you need?

Garden Buildings are usually delivered on flatbed Transit sized vehicles. We will wish to park on your drive or outside your house so the carrying distance from lorry to site is minimised.

We can deal with most delivery issues but please tell us if there is going to be a long carry, tight turns or overhead restrictions.

With the exception of very small buildings we are not able to carry panels through your house/garage or lift them over walls or fences so please provide us with a clear outdoor access route.

Garages, Carriage Houses, Club Range and Equestrian buildings are usually delivered on rigid flat bed 7.5 tonne lorries. The panels are heavy so we need to get our lorry as close to your base as possible and ideally right next to it. If you think delivery access may be a problem please discuss this when you place your order.

We sometimes use a haulier in which case this may be an articulated vehicle and the driver will need assistance to unload.

8) What site preparation is needed?

Garden Buildings should ideally be erected onto a firm level base of concrete, timber decking or paving slabs. If you do not want to lay a permanent base we offer a pressure treated timber Easybase for buildings up to 3.6m x 2.4m (12' x 8'). For this option we will need an area of firm, level grass or earth at least the size of your building.
Please do not ask us to erect onto brick piers or a sub-frame laid by others as this seldom produces a satisfactory result.

If you order a Garage, Carriage House, Open Barn, Club Range or Equestrian Building you will require a level, permanent concrete base and we will supply you with a detailed foundation drawing.

We recommend that you employ a local building contractor to carry out this work. Please make sure that he has read and understood the foundation drawing before starting work. We will provide technical advice and support if needed.
Please note that foundation depth and specification will depend upon local site conditions.

9) I am replacing an old building. Will Passmores dismantle and take it away?

We are not a licensed waste carrier and are therefore unable to offer a site clearance service. If you ask Passmores to erect your building, we will require a prepared site.

Normally the builder responsible for any groundwork will also be able to quote for the disposal of your existing building.

10) Do I need to paint my new building?

Passmore Garden Buildings are treated inside and out in a premium quality golden brown water repellent wood preservative. We recommend annual re-treatment to the exterior.

The external timbers of our Garages, Carriage Houses, Open Barn, Club Range and Equestrian buildings are pressure treated for life. If allowed to weather these buildings will gradually change to a light grey colour. The original colour can be preserved or enhanced and the harmful effects of the suns rays on timber can be reduced, by the application of a good quality wood preservative. We have found that Sadolin Classic has excellent performance characteristics.

11) Do your buildings come with a guarantee?

Goods delivered within the mainland UK carry a 12 month warranty against faulty materials or workmanship.
Normally any defect will show in the first few months of the buildings life as it settles onto its foundation.